Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Ten Most Amazing Events
I have included the most memorable events which I have been fortuate enough to attend. If any others spring to mind I will let you know. I have been to about 12 tests and I forget how many other rugby matches. That was what you did back then down south as there was nothing else to do. I have also been to heaps of cricket at Carisbrook, Caketin, Basin Reserve and Queenstown Events Centre. I have also been to an Australian NBL game between the Sydney Kings and Brisbane Bullets in 1996 and two league matches one in 1996 between the Balmain Tigers and Parramatta Eels and in 2003 between the Warriors and the Raiders at Ericsson. These matches were up there, but not as memorable as the top ten listed below. I have tried to mix up the codes and stadiums listed below.
1) The Mens Singles Australian Open tennis final. What a match. A five set thriller between Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal. I was there to witness it at an electric Rod Laver Arena.
2) Cricket at MCG in Australia where we won thanks to Grant Elliot. It was a brilliant way to shut up the Aussie yobbos!
3) 2005 All Blacks vs Springboks at Carisbrook. We won with a late Keven Mealamu try. It was exciting with a brilliant outcome. It was one of the 12 All Black tests I have attended.
4) 1997 Southland vs Otago. This was an epic 22-20 win for the Stags and on the back of a Pita Alatini try and the Simon Culhane boot we got there. It was Southland's first win since 1986 in NPC. This was when it was tough.
5) LA Galaxy vs Wellington Phoenix. I saw David Beckham play some great long balls. He was all class and the Galaxy smoked the 'Nix.
6) 2007 Chappell Hadlee when the Blackcaps won by 10 wickets. Beating Australia is something satisfying, but doing it by 10 wickets is amazing.
7) My only premiership match at Craven Cottage 2006 Fulham vs Bolton. The final score was 1-1 with a late Jimmy Bullard penalty giving the Londoners a point. The chants and crowd atmosphere was an eye opener, as was the standard of football.
8) Otago vs British and Irish Lions 2005. I should've been at the first test, but sold my tickets instead. This was unforgetable for the Lions fans who were far more impressive than the actual game. There were stunning British women and patriotic Lions fans who made more noise than the scarfies.
9) NZI Sevens. In their first year 2000, this was a sign of things to come with a packed Caketin and heaps of teams on display. We didn't win, but gave it a good shot.
10) 1997 Bledisloe Cup at Carisbrook where we won 36-24 after leading 36 nil at halftime. One try stands alone in my memory from this game, when Christian Cullen ran 80 metres to score untouched. This was thanks to day time rugby. This just gets it ahead of the 1999 Springboks test and all of the other rugby matches I have watched. I thought I wouldn't bore you with the 1998 Southland win over Northland in atrocious weather or the 1998 Otago win over Wellington 82-10 or was it 84-10 in the NPC.
I have been to so many rugby and cricket matches, that it is hard to differentiate on where they stand on the list. I would go for the most memorable matches.